Thursday, December 29, 2016

Tis The Season


Tis the season where you're excited about the holidays and anticipate the longer shopping days and the gift exchange.



The holiday season and end of the year comes with a mixture of emotion.



I have a love-hate relationship with The Holiday season.


A part of me is overwhelmed by the joy of our savior's birth (regardless if the time is not accurate) and what it means to my life.

The other Part makes me sad about the people I lost and the Struggles I faced with Christmas.


Christmas was always weird in my home at a very early age I remember most holidays were considered Pagan holidays and were not to be celebrated. The only days we celebrated were Holy
http://www.hwalibrary.com/cgi-bin/get/hwa.cgi?action=getbklet&InfoID=1313850170
Days from the old testament bible. My mom had this book with a Santa Mask on it, breaking down who Santa was.




I never had the chance to believe in Santa, easter bunny or anything. My daughter believes not because we taught her or talk about it but she does, and the idea of taking that away from her is not something I'd entertain right now. She needs to hold on to her innocents a little longer she will figure it out.



I've had some good Christmases but only two great Christmases that stand out in my mind before my daughter was born.



When I was seven or eight years old, my dad (biological) brought us tons of gifts. We were sitting in the dark living room close to a heater with almost no lights on in the house my grandfather said my dad was coming over we were excited but cautious because he always said he was coming he rarely showed. He showed up that day with two large bags full of toys. 


We were so excited that we ran upstairs and decided we wanted to share before my mother could help us pick out what we wanted we ended up with the leftover toys I couldn't remember which. We were so excited to share we didn't consider the fact that everyone got presents from their parents and this was the first year we were getting gifts for Christmas from our parents. That day I was so excited to show them my dad was awesome. I was proud I finally have a dad I can brag about even if it was this one thing. It was my good memory of him.




Another Christmas I remember I was around 18yrs old and I was so excited to celebrate our first Christmas, I went out and bought everyone lots of gifts with my Macy Discount. It was my first official year I could say Merry Christmas.


The following year I went and purchased our family's first Christmas tree and put it in the front seat of my car (pines everywhere) I went to K-Mart in Bay Plaza in the Bronx and bought all type of ornaments and decorations, and we over decorated this tree and we had so much fun because for the first time we had our own tree.



The last few years we have had one struggle after another. This year season was the worst. I heard families collecting or the needy and this year I was the needy. I was looking for places giving out free gifts for kids because I didn't want her to feel left out this Christmas. We've had to make decisions on whether we need the lights on, food, rent or gifts and thank God she has so many people who love her that she never felt our struggle.
She has enjoyed each year and been grateful. We got her one toy this year and she was so excited for that toy I wanted to buy her more but in due time (disability you never know when you will get paid).





It's been a struggle for my family with everything, but we are grateful for finally having our space after 3yrs of living in other people's homes. We purchase our first couch after being married for 13yrs. She has her room and bedroom set.






I can't be embarrassed by my struggles because I know others have gone through worse and a lot of families are still struggling.








I love all these charities that collect gifts but sometimes they are supporting everyone.




They don't get always get to people directly affected in your areas. 


I ask that people support families in your immediate communities, your family friends and neighbors will appreciate the charity.


Pay for outstanding lunch balances.


Go directly to a school and bring a book bag or two filled with supplies, add basic needs such as socks and T-Shirts.






Help parents get uniforms and clothing for school (not every child in private school has money).






The average parent who makes enough to support their home struggle with these things and most don't qualify for help. 






Especially if you know charities that can help people, please share them. 



Some people are too afraid of being judged (a person and assume another is mismanaging their money and have no other reason to fall into problems) to tell you they are struggling. 


We were Lucky to have family to make my daughter's Christmas amazing.


I shared my holiday struggles because we all have are challenges and being grateful for the challenges allows you to appreciate the blessings.

Everyday that I breath is a day I can change and make a difference.








No comments: